jonathan-charlotte bgt

Jonathan & Charlotte have been forced to cancel an important appearance this week after Jonathan Antoine was diagnosed with acute depression once more.

The Britain’s Got Talent runners up were booked in to sing for the Queen at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance event at the Royal Albert Hall this Saturday, however the pair have informed fans and organisers that due to his mental health issues, Jonathan will be taking some time away from the public eye and will be cancelling all bookings and engagements for the next month at least.

The opera singing duo finished as runners-up in the sixth series of Britain’s Got Talent in 2012, just behind Ashleigh and her dancing dog Pudsey and subsequently won a £1million record deal by Simon Cowell on his record label Syco.

They have since released their album Together which reached No. 5 in the UK Album Charts and last month the follow up record Perhaps Love also peaked in the fifth position.

jonathan-and-charlotte

Jonathan has struggled with depression in the past and before taking part in BGT he self harmed and even attempted suicide because of his issues.

“I felt that life was pointless. I was suicidal,” he said in an interview last year. “My life just felt pointless. The whole thing. I felt like I was going to be at school forever and just die there.”

The pair have now apologised to The Queen, fans and organisers and a statement published on their website reads:

“The pair made this decision after Jonathan was diagnosed once more with acute depression. As a result, he has been advised by doctors to cancel all work commitments for at least one month.

jonathan-charlotte-bgt

“Jonathan’s previous battles with depression have been well-documented. Jonathan, Charlotte and their families request the media allow them the appropriate privacy – and Jonathan the time and space to make a complete recovery – at this difficult time.”

Jonathan tweeted about the success of their new album this week posting:

“Thank you to everyone that has manged to make “Perhaps Love” have it’s third week in the top 10 – please continue to spread the word and RT!”

He added:

“SO amazing to see #PerhapsLove still in the top ten! #number8 thank you to everyone who’s picked up a copy! ”

Leave your comments below….

7 Responses to “Britain’s Got Talent stars Jonathan & Charlotte drop out of gig due to acute depression”

1. Jan Howard says:

Jonathan, I too suffer from depression, have had many struggles with it since I was 15. I am now 54 and still being treated, but doing well, I hope the same for you, you are an amazing talent and I love you and Charlotte together. What an amazing duo. please take care of yourself first. I will be waiting to hear news of your recovery. God bless you both! Jan Howard

2. Linda Waddell says:

Jonathan, I am in North Carolina (USA) and have also suffered with depression and been on medications all my life. I am now 62. You are so young that I hope in time you are capable of learning to live with it through your faith and counseling.

No words can describe your talent. I heard you and Charlotte sing “The Prayer” and was absolutely blown away. You are magnificent!! Your talent is God-given and he knew he picked the right person to give it to so you could “lift up the spirits” of everyone who has the honor to hear you sing.

Hang in there, Jonathan, it will get better. Best of luck to you!

Linda Waddell

3. Sherri Culver says:

Jonathan, I am in Washington state (USA) and fell in love with you and Charlotte when I saw you last year. I will keep you in my prayers that you will overcome your depression. You are such an inspiration. My husband and I sit in our sauna every night with our cat and we watch and listen to you sing. We love you. I just bought your 2nd CD and am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival. I would love to be on your mailing list but when I tried it said that I didn’t have permission to do so. Congratulations on the weight loss. We want you to be around for a long time. You have a great capacity to love and we love your loyalty to Charlotte. Simon was right when he said that your special friendship made your act even more special.

4. Linda Wallace says:

Jonathan, I live in Illinois (USA) and also have depression. I simply adore and love you! Not only do you sing amazingly well, but you have the cutest facial expressions and a fantastic, endearing personality!
    I, too, attempted suicide during one of my darkest hours. However, depression is episodic, and THINGS ALWAYS GET BETTER!
    You might want to try light therapy during the fall and winter months. My psychiatrist told me the cheap lights don’t help, so I bought an expensive one, and it’s helped immensely! I just sit under it for 30 minutes every morning.
    PLEASE REMEMBER YOU WILL COME OUT OF THIS SLUMP. You are an awesome person, and I’ll be praying for you!

5. sazzy says:

Jonathan you are NOT ALONE ive been diagnosed with depression for many years and still being treated, you have been given a voice which is phenomenal you have your friends and family who stand by you through thick and thin. Hope you feel better really soon. Ps I love the album xx

6. Bill Darling says:

Jonathan, Please conquer this depression, and enjoy the talents you have, the great friend and musical partner you have in Charlotte. Focus on the good, the changes that have come in your life since you debuted on Britain’s Got Talent. The world loves you both, and perhaps your voice in particular. Do not let this condition ruin your future happiness. God bless you, bring you happiness and joy throughout your life.
    Thank you for being you!

7. ThinJonathanAdmirer says:

I have REALLY NOTICED how much WEIGHT that JONATHAN has lost this past 6 months or so and admire his determination to manage his health. WOW! You can REALLY see his HANDSOME SELF coming out of the FAT PERSON who he used to be….and, amazingly, he can STILL SING just as GREAT as before. It’s GREAT to see JONATHAN’S SUCCESS and we hope that CHARLOTTE hasn’t been keeping him all for herself alone, not that anyone would be SURPRISED.
    ‘J&C’ are BOTH FANTASTIC together and incredibly mature for their respective ages but, let’s face it, they’re still ‘kids’ after all and the pressure on them to CONVERT to be INSTANT ADULTS must be unbearable. My only suggestion to anyone with DEPRESSION is to GIVE of themselves to OTHERS by working in a HOMELESS shelter or FOOD BANK.