Dancing On Ice 2014: Beth Tweddle shines but Jason Gardiner picks some holes

beth tweddle

beth tweddle

Beth Tweddle had a tough time on the last show and a lot to recover from this week as she rehearsed for Dancing On Ice’s last ever semi final.

The Olympic champion was struck down by a virus last month and as a result her scores definitely dipped last Sunday.

However she’s back on fighting form and ready to skate on this evening’s penultimate show and Beth tweeted fans to reassure them saying:

“Thank you to everyone for the get well messages. Feeling so much better now!Onto this weeks flying & skating challenge with @IceLukasz :-)”

She told the team:

“I was 15 marks behind Ray [last weekend]>

“I have some serious work to do this week. Everyone wants to be in the final, that pressure for me now is knowing I am one step away. I have to bottle the pressure up and use it to my advantage.”

beth tweddle

“I need to show we do deserve our place in that final. I am full of energy and I will give it all I can for the semi final.”

Tonight’s routine was based on two children in a playground and had a really fun and playful theme. It was filled with high fives and leapfrogs and Tweddle definitely looked liked she enjoyed it all. It was probably the most animated we have ever seen her on the rink.

The judges loved it too and scored Beth an impressive 36.5 for the performance.

dancing on ice judges

KAREN BARBER: Former champions of course and the standard are amazing. You have had to learn how to perform and to skate and tonight it all came together.

JASON GARDINER: Technique wise you are so spot on. Physically, the thing that stops you getting the 10s is the personality. You have more personality in your VT than you do in your performance. You need to be the total package.

ROBIN COUSINS: You are trying and giving some performance. I have to give you credit for your exits.

Did you enjoy tonight’s performance? Leave your comments below….

Lisa McGarry

Lisa has been watching reality TV for too long now. She won't do any housework unless 'Big Brother' announces it over the tannoy and everything she does has to be put to a public vote!

1. wendy alvis on March 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm

what is it with the doi judges,no matter how good beth is they are never satisfied,they comment and there is always a but,even when she was ill last week there was not much credit,it is looking as if they are trying to knock her confidence all the time,i agree with christopher dean her skating this week deserved a 10,give her a break for goodness sake

2. Dave Rowell on March 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Judges undermarked Beth Tweddle as usual. Her wire work was superior to all but Hayley. Her skating ability is second to none. Hope the public realise this.

3. Gordon knight on March 2, 2014 at 8:44 pm

How could judges score Ray higher than Beth in the air performance when everyone could see she was better by far, as Chris Dean commented after her skate, and it’s time Jason was pulled up about his comments to Beth, it stands out that he doesn’t like her at all, and for the other female judge to give Ray a 10 for his performance in the air was a joke, what does she know about ice dancing

4. Gordon knight on March 2, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Ashley and Jason must be sick that Beth was voted through to final, but to be fair Sam should be in the final not Ray, they put more into their programme, but it was a forgone conclusion who was going through, get rid of Jason and Ashley

5. Charlie jackson on March 2, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Are you all serious??? The woman is as wooden as a rocking horse!!! She has zero charisma!!! It may as well be a robot dancing on that ice!!! I think the judges have a little more of an idea then you amatures who keep voting for her, hence why they have the job and you don’t!!! She shouldn’t even have won last year, let alone this year!!! I don’t even think you can put her and Ray in the same league!!! All I can say is shame on you public who are voting for her to win instead of Ray!!!

6. Les Helm on March 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

It is obvious the the two inexperienced judges Gardiner and Ashley who would find it difficult to stand up on ice do not like Beth Tweddle let’s give our champion all the votes

7. Gillian Pugh on March 2, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Beth was definately in top form tonight. Jasons comments were completely out of order about Beth and the comments that he (and Robin) made after the skate-off shows how much he is prejudiced against the girls! Chris was right to have a go at the judges over Beths score, she was much better than Ray and Sam. Good job the public are voting for the best skaters and not just the skater that the judges think should win the competition.

8. Ruth Gray on March 2, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Just watched tonights first programme on Sky+.
    I think the judges especially Ashley and Jason are being somean to Beth, she is the best skater and technical performer by far. As Chris said tonight she should have been given 10s ahead of Ray & Sam (hes the wooden one).

9. Sandra Taylor-Amos on March 3, 2014 at 7:15 am

I don’t think Beth should of been in the final and I feel for poor Sam who did a better job all round I think Beth was only voted though because she won it last year and and she was ill last week I think she should of gone out weeks ago ass we have lost some good skaters because she is were she is.

10. Dave Rowell on March 3, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I am afraid Charlie Jackson you have little idea of the technical side of ice skating/dancing. Beth is probably technically the best skater in the show. She does have a personality, one that was honed on the international gymnastic circuit, which bears little resemblance to that required for stage performances. The show is “Dancing on ice” which is what she does better than the other three.

Comments are closed.