Dancing on Ice presenter Christine Bleakley in new cancer scare over asbestos leak
Dancing on Ice presenter Christine Bleakely is facing a new cancer scare – she recently had three “suspect” moles removed and in 2009 had an abnormal smear test result – as it’s feared she may have been exposed to deadly asbestos.
Former One Show host Christine is said to be “distraught” that asbestos has been found in her former school in Belfast. The asbestos was uncovered during renovations to the building.
The Sun reports that thousands of the school’s former pupils are now being contacted in order to inform them of the danger of the leak and to advise they seek medical attention.
A source close to Christine said, “Christine is devastated to hear she and thousands of others who went to Bloomfield Collegiate could be at risk from lung cancer.
“It has ruined her memories of her time at school, which she’s always cherished…
“The fact she was back in the building as recently as last year has made her more petrified she could fall ill.”
Christine heard about the asbestos leak when she returned from a holiday with her Chelsea footballer fiancé Frank Lampard last week.
The source added, “She was in really high spirits before she went away and while she was in the sun.
Christine’s spokesman said, “This is yet another cancer scare for Christine so she doesn’t want to say anything before she gets tests.”
A school representative revealed that major damage to asbestos in cupboards was caused during an electrical overhaul in 2001, however, head teacher Dr Darrin Barr admitted that the authorities have “no idea” what condition the asbestos was in before the renovation.
He said in a letter, “It is not known what asbestos conditions prevailed in the past. It is not possible to quantify the exact level of exposure at other times and therefore any consequent health risks.”
Asbestos fibres can cause mesothelioma, a disease that leads to lung cancer, which kills around 3,500 in the UK every year and can lie dormant for up to 50 years. There is no cure.