def leppard

One Direction are celebrating a pretty successful few months, after their latest album Midnight Memories topped charts around the world and they certainly shone on Saturday Night Love yesterday, however there could be some trouble on the horizon for the band.

The lads released their third studio album last month and within hours not only was the LP climbing the charts, but many of the tracks also made it into the top 20 on their own steam.

One such track was the title song Midnight Memories, which debuted at number 3 in the Irish and Australian charts. The song is a catchy, upbeat, rocky tune which many people have compared to Def Leppard’s classic track ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ and it’s this comparison that’s causing problems.

An insider told The Mirror that Def Leppard’s legal team are investigation the fact that the track seems to be closely based on and inspired by their composition and it’s reported that there could be legal action on the cards, against the X Factor stars.

one direction 2

Def Leppard are not credited on the song, but band members Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson have been named as two of the principle songwriters.

A source close to the rock band told the newspaper:

“Music lawyers will routinely scour hits like this one to see if there is any evidence that a band has either copied or cleverly mimicked a Def Leppard song.

“These cases can often take weeks to sort out because we are not talking about peanuts here – the 1D album is selling millions and if the title track goes out as a single it will generate even more money.”

one direction amas

The source added: “Everyone is staying silent at this stage but it’s clear the two songs sound alike – which has been enough for Def Leppard’s aides to pose questions to their legal team.”

Fans have been speculating over the similarities between the two tracks and one tweeted yesterday saying:

“Am |I the only one who thinks 1D might’ve stole the chorus for Midnight Memories from Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard?”

Another said:

“Definitely hearing some Def Leppard influence on this 1D album 😅 ! Party on”

A third posted:

“The chorus in One Direction’s song ‘Midnight Memories’ sounds a lot like Def Leppard’s ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ … Hm, sh*theads”

Have a listen to both tracks and leave your comments below….

9 Responses to “Def Leppard considering legal action against One Direction over Midnight Memories?”

1. Rock Chick says:

If 1D did indeed use a portion of Def Leppards song or even if they made a song that sounds super close sounding to DL’s then DL deserves at the very least to be acknowledged and given credit. I mean give credit where credit is due. At the max DL deserve the just mentioned and financial compensation too. Maybe not some ridiculous amount but still. If the shoe were on the other foot 1D and their ppl would feel the same as well rather DL or any other band/singer was involved.

2. 1DB says:

This is not the first time 1D has ripped off tunes/melodies from other artists: The Who, Rick Springfield (Jesse’s Girl), The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I go), Backstreet Boys (I want it that way). And the list goes on.

3. whatever says:

The only one that was really obvious was The Who IMO. That intro fellt strangely similar, but The Who chose to see it as an homage & highlighted the fact that there is only so many melodies that can be written in pop music because the really complicated one don’t work (I don’t really remember the exact quote). I actually found that very kind of them!

The clash were mentioned in the credit of the 1D song from what I heard -they borrowed a guitarre riff, not the melody or the rest of the song… But it seems that this guitare riff is so associated to that one song that no one else can use it -despite the fact that a guitarre riff doesn’t really belong to one person/group, or does it?

I see one point in the song in which there is a similar structure to the Deff Leopard one, but I see it more as being inspired by (if it was in any way intentional)… Just because it has a similar feel doesn’t give them a case, but it does give them some headlines I suppose…

With the current amount of songs that exist, I think it happens very often that a song reminds us of another without meaning there is any actual case of plagiarism.

4. Ellie says:

Oh no. I thought something was gonna pop up about Midnight Memories(song not album)soon. Stuff like this happens with musicians all the time. They didn’t know. Musicians do it without realizing. WMYB’s intro sounds like the beginning of Summer Nights from Grease. No one considered legal action against that did they? Thing of it as inspiration. Also, they don’t sound completely the same. Even though when I listened to MM for the first time, I was like,”OMG!!! The chorus sounds like Pour Some Sugar On Me!”

5. This is getting ridiculous says:

I get that stuff like this happens all the time, where there are some similarities, but the One Direction one’s are as close to identical as it gets. I heard this song for the first time on the X factor last night, and I immediately recognised it as Def Leppard’s song. It didn’t just make me think “Hey, that sounds like …” It is nigh on a carbon copy! The same with the incident with the Who, I would be listening to the radio and I’d hear the intro, and think awesome they’re playing the Who, but it was actually the One Direction song. I don’t have anything against One Direction’s music in general, I find it quite catchy, but it is getting ridiculous!

6. Anonymous says:

Def Leppard are one of my favourite bands….and ya,on this issue,seriously it looks so similar,what in the world were 1D upto.Shit

7. Jenn says:

I’m a Directioner myself and personally if u listen closely there are 5 I guess u can call them breaks and pauses between the words midnight memories, where as the pour some sugar on me you only hear 4 breaks or pauses sooooo…

8. Jenn says:

I myself am I Directioner and personally listening to both songs if you listen closely there are 5 breaks or pauses when they sing the words midnight memories and in pour some sugar on me you only hear 4 breaks or pauses, sooooooo…

9. Angela says:

Jenn, you are so dumb. You dont know anything of music do you.