Zayn-Malik-3106707

One Direction fans are up in arms this week and it’s all in defence of their singing idol Zayn Malik!

The band released their official music video for new single Midnight Memories on Friday and not only did the film fail to break the current VEVO record, but it seems video makers managed to cut Zayn Malik out of most of it too.

Directioners around the world are livid that their idol got just 11 seconds of solo airtime and was often left at the back when the group performed together.

Louis Tomlinson by contrast had around 28 seconds of solo screen time and was also at the forefront of most of the band shots as he walked down a pier and joked with his bandmates in a kebab shop.

Harry Styles was highly visible too and spent 32 seconds either on his own or with just one other bandmate, while Niall Horan spends 22 seconds alone though much of that is for his infamous kebab eating shot.

LouisLiamMidnightMemories

Liam Payne isn’t a massive focus but he still does better than Zayn and landed himself 20 seconds of featured time.

One fan tweeted:

“The midnight memories music video is sooo good!
But tbh I’m still really upset because Zayn didn’t get a solo..”

Another was furious over the snub and posted:

“But im kinda angry cause I didn’t really get to see Zayn in the video,its kinda unfair,just saying!!”

Other comments included:

“That’s not fair! y does zayn malik always gets the least solo and less time on screen in the video #MidnightMemories dats not fair”

“So Zayn has like around 11 seconds of screen time in the MM video. Its not fair on him, all the other boys get way more. Hmm…x”

one direction midnight memories 1

“ZAYN DOESN’T HAVE A SOLO, THUS HE DOESN’T HAVE AS MUCH SCREEN TIME AS THE OTHER BOYS. I CALL THIS UNFAIR AND UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.”

A source close to the band told The Mirror that the decision was made because Zayn had less solos in the song than his fellow 1D stars. They explained:

“The rest of the boys sing solos in the track, so obviously they feature on their own in the video a bit more.

“But it’s weird that in a lot of the group shots, like on the police boat, Zayn’s back is turned.

“Otherwise, he’s almost always lurking out of shot, except when all five of the boys are on screen.

“It reflects how quiet he always is in interviews with the others, too.”

This lack of screen time won’t help with rumours that Zayn is likely to be the first member of One Direction to leave the band.

We wouldn’t be surprised if he was feeling a little left out and unfulfilled this week!

What do you think One Direction fans? Leave your comments below…

21 Responses to “One Direction fans livid over Zayn Malik Midnight Memories snub! Is Louis Tomlinson more popular?”

1. kayler says:

So? Louis had a little over a minute of solo time the entire first album and you didn’t see him surrounded by rumours of him leaving the band. Niall as well. I love zayn and yeah he could have been on screen a little more but stop taking the rumour mill in to overdrive Kay?

2. ?? says:

I think the song and video reflected the boys personalities zayn is often quite and shy so he would be more likely to be seen at the back in real life whereas the others are cheekier and not as shy they are more likely to do whatever they want i don’t think it was anything personal against zayn or his singing abilities.

3. gabrielle says:

Tbh I don’t like the music video, it’s a far cry from BSE and SOML. I had high hopes it’s Ben but disappointed. I didn’t bother to replay it. If Zayn’s face was all over it then would have gladly replay it million times :)

4. Exonedfan says:

Watched it once and won’t be watching it again. The lack of Zayn was upsetting and disappointing so disgusted with Ben, I expected more from him. So I am boycotting the vid. Seems like One Direction always leave Zayn out, the band account didn’t even tweet him Happy Birthday but couldn’t wait to tweet Harry. To be honest I hope Zayn does leave, he deserves better. And not one of his so called bro’s from the group had his back, so disappointing and sad

5. Amanda says:

Same here. I watched the video once and will not be watching it again. I didn’t buy the single either. No Zayn means I’m not interested. I hope this band realizes that theyre more likely to break records and top charts only if they stop snubbing their best singer.

6. carly says:

They didn’t specifically wish either boy a happy birthday on that day. They did the exact same thing for both boys by saying to the fans do this in a certain app to wish them a happy birthday then revealed some of “their favorites”. It’s more or less a marketing thing and they may have a partnership with flipagram or whatever to keep up with otherwise they probably wouldnt send out any happy birthday messages

7. Heba says:

this really annoyed me i know that louis&Niall
    in first album didn’t have lots of solos but in videos
    all of them must take equal parts but in this video Zayn didn’t have any solos & he didn’t appear on screen so much :( i was all time searching for him he is on the back with the other band members or not in the screen :(
    although he has the best voice

8. Heba says:

the snub of Zayn was from the reasons that this video didn’t break the record not like bse&soml
    the only reason that make me replay this video is that niall tweeted to break the record

9. Kayla N says:

Totally DISAPPOINTED. I actually notified this odd sign when 1D sang Midnight Memories live on Good Morning show in New York, USA back in November 2013.

Management or others try not to make excuses for not having ZAYN more times for solo or on screen because of anything here. For instance, Louis and Niall had less time on their solos in Story of my Life but they still had more times than ZAYN in Midnight Memories

10. minnie says:

No wonder the song flopped so hard, it’s a bad song — any song that has no Zayn singing solo is terrible. He’s the best in the band. But then to not let him also be in the video? In other videos, even if one of the boys have no solo, they still at least appear onscreen a lot. But this was not the case with Zayn. I hope that single does really badly so they realise what they’ve done.

11. Sakshma! says:

That is ridiculous! If there’s no ZAYN in the band then there’s no ONE DIRECTION. And this video.. It’s great, it gets you dancing but all we got was 11 seconds of zayn -.- That’s not cool.. Highly disappointed bout that! -_-

12. Flors says:

I don’t think this is a huge big deal. From the shots in the cafe Zayn looked incredibly bored, it was filmed at the end of a long tour and promo for the album. He might just not like the song. They may have filmed much more of him but had to edit it out bc he was so unenthusiastic. He probably looked terrified being on the boat. ITV didn’t show him on the UK X Factor performance either though – blink and you miss Zayn that night :( He was very prominent in Best Song Ever and Story of My Life so maybe they’re trying to spread the spotlight around the group.

I don’t think it’s a great song so I reckon it’s best for Zayn that he’s not associated with it beyond carrying the choruses. The solos suit Niall and Louis’s voices (bc they aren’t hard). If they have to give them solos, give them ones on crappy songs. But don’t release those songs as singles!!! And don’t film boring, corny music videos. It is SO BORING, even the gifs are dull. I hope they release another single from this album bc otherwise they won’t have any new videos until autumn when 4th album launches. With a new director – Ben’s run out of ideas. Happily would be really successful – Midnight Memories is going to FLOP.

13. Flors says:

And I don’t think the other boys have not supported Zayn – he’s just really laid back and happy to let the others have solos. They are lovely about his singing in their live shows. His voice is all over the rest of the album, they just picked the wrong song to make a single (yet another Harry song). It’s hard not to notice now that his voice is far stronger, mature and more versatile than the others – they will have to make some big decisions for their next album about whether they properly make him lead singer and give up on Niall and Louis, at least on their best songs (which hopefully become singles). Zayn carries all the choruses and he and Liam sing the hard parts. They deserve better material.

14. Deidre says:

Flors, when you say His voice is far stronger, mature and more versatile than the others, are you talking about Zayn?

15. Purnima says:

I am so so so dissapointed. Where is Zayn?? This video INCOMPLETE. This video is not as good as other videos. Because there’s lack of Zayn i don’t wanna see this video again. What the hell were you doing when you were directing the video you stupid director.

16. marisela says:

this video would of been amazing if Zayn would of came out on it more and had a solo. but the act that people are starting to say that maybe its because hes getting out of the band, nah i dont think so. in other videos some of the other guys barely come out too and they are still here in the band. i just hope Zayn gets noticed a bit more and also i dont know how he is the less popular when he is the 2nd cuttest to me and some other girls that i know!!!!!!

17. ilovezaynInThai says:

อัลบัมนี้น่าสมเพสที่สุดเพราะแต่ละฉากZaynได้แสดงน้อยมาก เลว เลว เลว เลว เลว เลว น่ารังเกียจ

18. Directioner says:

Honestly, I don’t see why everyone’s so worked up over this. It’s just ONE video, ONE song, where he doesn’t get solos. Louis only had a mere few solos in Up All Night and Take Me Home, and all his solos were very minor parts too, and there wasn’t so large an outburst too!!

If everyone can say that the management has reasons for Lou being left out for solos, it goes the same for Zayn.

My bias is Lou, but I love the 1D guys very much too. Zayn is an amazing singer too, and it’s just one song!! Lou’s just as wonderful.

19. Melanie says:

@Directioner, Louis is notably the worst singer in the band and cannot even in his wildest dreams match Zayn (or Harry or Liam) in terms of singing ability. That’s why he was left out for solos.

20. MarieMck says:

I think 1D management should make sure all boys in the band have equal video time, it doesn’t matter whether ZAYN is shy or quiet, they should have made an effort to give him more screen time in the MM video anyway. It’s only fair. If ZAYN won’t speak up, then WE the FANS will speak up for ZAYN. I hope that in future music videos, we will see more of ZAYN solos. I mean I love ALL the boys, but I hate to see one of them being treated as an underdog.

21. Mariles McKinley says:

It seems to me that ZAYN is being treated like an underdog by 1D management in this video. That’s just my opinion of course. It doesn’t matter if ZAYN is shy or quiet, they should have at least made an effort to give him equal screen time anyway. If ZAYN won’t speak up, then WE the FANS will speak up for ZAYN. I mean I love ALL the boys, but it just didn’t seem fair. I hope that in future music videos, that ZAYN and all the other lovely boys will be treated equally and fairly.