Daybreak’s Richard Arnold to play the ‘clown’ on Strictly Come Dancing 2012 – Sir Bruce Forsyth honoured by Guinness World Record
Viewers have just over a week to wait for the launch of Strictly Come Dancing’s 2012 series and this morning, another name has been added to the list of stars taking part.
Insiders have claimed that Daybreak’s Richard Arnold will be donning his dancing shoes for the show and will be showcasing his rhythm or lack thereof, when the series launches on BBC One next Saturday night.
The showbiz editor of the newly revamped ITV breakfast show has been allowed to defect to the rival channel – following in the footsteps of former breakfast hosts Fiona Phillips and Kate Garraway – with producers believing that his quick wit and easy going nature will help liven Strictly, attract more viewers and assist them in building a viewership in their ratings battle against The X Factor.
A source told The Sun that bosses have instructed Richard to be the new Russell Grant and have asked him to play up his camp nature, while playing the show clown.
‘He will be our Strictly Clown this year and he is happy to play that role.
‘Russell Grant was a huge hit on Strictly last year and we are hoping that Richard will attract the same fans.
‘He is hilarious and during meetings had everyone in stitches with his camp jokes.
‘Richard is well up for the show and Strictly’s producers hope he will promote it to viewers of Daybreak.’
However, it’s a win win deal for top dogs at both channels, as by inviting Arnold onto the primetime talent show, the Beeb are also passing back some publicity to Daybreak which has recently been relaunched and is hoping to claim back many of the viewers it lost to BBC Breakfast last year.
Elsewhere in Strictly land, Sir Bruce Forsyth has been honoured by Guinness World Record for his mammoth television career.
The 84-year-old presenter – who fronts the dance show with Tess Daly – is to be included in the 2013 edition of the book, for having the longest career as a male TV entertainer. His TV career spans 72 years, as he started at the tender age of 11 and when the big chinned star returns to our screens next weekend, he will take the overall title for the longest career of a TV entertainer, which was previously held by American star and former Golden Girls actress, Betty White.
On hearing the news, Forsyth said:
“What a wonderful surprise, but what a shock – and it’s all true.”
The full Strictly lineup is expected to be confirmed next week, but we have compiled a list of all the stars strongly suspected to be taking part. It includes quite a few Olympians, along with Westlife star Nicky Byrne, actress and model Jerry Hall and Eastenders actress Charlie Brooks. Check out the list here.
Are you excited? Leave your comments below….