The Voice 2014: Kylie Minogue cries as Bob Blakeley & Miles Anthony lose out!

January 18th, 2014 by Lisa McGarry
Bob Blakeley The Voice

Bob Blakeley The Voice

55 year old Bob Blakeley from Stockport impressed the coaches but still didn’t win a place in the battle rounds on tonight’s episode of The Voice.

The grandfather was surrounded by his children and grandchildren as he prepared for his audition and before singing Cry Me A River for the panel he said:

“I work in a massive chilled warehouse, I love my job. The people are genuinely good guys. I sing all the time at work. They call me Bob FM. I am like a walking human radio. ”

He added:

“I am 55, this doesn’t happen to people of my age or I never thought it would.”

Despite a flawless performance, Bob failed to convince any of the coaches to turn in their seats. It seemed to be a choice they regretted and Tom Jones said:

“You are a professional singer now right? [No] Well you should be! You should be a professional singer, that’s how good you are. You have a pure voice and I would like to have heard more of it, with a simpler arrangement.”

He added:

“You were born with that voice and you were meant to sing and you should be doing that all over the place.”

The Voice 2014

Ricky Wilson said:

“It was amazing. The four of us didn’t turn round but I think you made the whole country get off their seats.”

Will.i.am admitted:

“I am trying to put my heart bad together because I think you deserve to be on the show. Your voice was pristine, it was like a glove between what the band was doing and you were doing. You sound like a pro. If Frank Sinatra was here he would be like ‘wow I want to take you on tour with me.'”

miles anthony the voice

21 year old singer Miles Anthony also lost out when he performed for the panel.

Before singing ‘I (Who Have Nothing)’ he told the crew that the tryout has been a long time coming and explained:

“I auditioned last year and got to the audition and had to leave because my niece had a seizure. My niece is six and at birth she was a perfectly normal child then at two and a half we found out she had Batten Disease. My niece cannot talk or walk, she can laugh, she definitely can laugh but she can’t move her body in any way now.”

He added:

“It has been very tough, especially not having my dad in the household. It falls to me as the only male to be as strong as I can for my mum and sister.”

“Having music has helped me through the hard times in my life. I feel like this is my time to shine and show what I can do.”

The Voice 2014

Despite his eagerness to succeed, none of the judges turned for Miles.

Will.i.am recommended that he turn his attention to producing rather than singing and said:

“You make beats? I can tell. You came to produce not to sing. You sing great, but your mind was in too many places.”

As the young singer dissolved into tears, Kylie Minogue said:

“That is so moving, can I come up there. I need to. Don’t beat yourself up.We all mess up sometimes, I mess up all the time.”

Ricky Wilson confessed:

“I am new here but what happened there, you sang, you were amazing, I nearly pressed and then I didn’t I messed up.”

Tom Jones said:

“I know from experience it is not an easy song to sing. I know it and you sang the hell out of it. I will give you that. It’s a very emotional song and that’s what you have to be careful of. Be proud of what you did, don’t think that you failed….you did not. You will be a star, you will be. You have everything that is needed to do it.”

As she wept after the audition Kylie confessed:

“I feel emotionally pummelled!”

Ricky said:

“It’s so hard because we have been there.”

Black Eyed Peas star Will said:

“I have had my heart broken loads of times when I was chasing my dreams. It was really horrible but if you want it, nothing will stop you.”

Leave your comments below…..

Lisa McGarry

Lisa has been watching reality TV for too long now. She won't do any housework unless 'Big Brother' announces it over the tannoy and everything she does has to be put to a public vote!

27 Comments

1. M Cooke on January 18, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Bob Blakeley has the best voice I have heard for a very long time. I hope he gets a record deal or gets noticed. We need more talent like him in this country. Shame the judges let this talent slip away.

2. Blakey fan on January 18, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I completely agree, best voice on the show so far. It was so unfair that he didn’t get a place!

3. Vanessa on January 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I am feeling so frustrated, he was amazing, I really want to hear more from Bob.

4. John guilbert on January 18, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Unbelievable noone turned for Bob. He blew my socks off. Even here from home TV set where most of the singers they vote for sound awful. It could have been Sinatra. Unbelievable. Very disappointed in Tom. Tom, just a note, there’s plenty of us oldies watching mate…you’re not alone and don’t have to keep up with the kids to impress. Your Tom Jones for Gods sake. Be true to yourself.

5. Jacqueline parker on January 18, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I cannot believe four top artist did not turn around for Bob. We are crying out for that type of talent. Shame that no one turned around, you should of sat still, closed your eyes and gone with your heart and the whole of the listening uk would of been behind you.

6. Dawn Bonner on January 18, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I can’t believe Bob went home I thought there was a moment Wii.i.am was going to backtrack – he should have done! He seemed genuinely upset to have let him go.

7. Karen on January 18, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Bob Blakeley the best voice on this show EVER yet no one turns round. Kind of defeats the object of the show! Unbelievable technique, pure tone, fantastic dynamic, outstanding control…..and they have sent him back to the warehouse! Great judging folks!

8. LoopyLou on January 18, 2014 at 8:53 pm

After watching Bob Blakely being left out tonight, I actually believe this show is rigged. He’s better than some singers I’ve listened to in Vegas. I hope someone snaps him up!

9. Rachel on January 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Bob should not have gone, best voice so far.

10. ray@rayteret.com on January 18, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Bob Blakely the one that got away. Shame, Great voice presence and attitude.

11. jan on January 18, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I would pay to hear this man sing. Someone give him a break. He has talent in buckets. I think Sir Tom was threatened by the power of Bob’s voice.Typical alpha male stuff I’m afraid!

12. Karen on January 18, 2014 at 9:28 pm

My husband and I couldn’t believe no one turned for bob brilliant voice he deserved to go through the judges aren’t choosing the best talent they are being childish waiting for each other to vote, if they don’t see one of the others press they don’t vote, can they not choose for themselves some good talent going they are choosing acts all very similar puts me off watching

13. Jo on January 18, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I have never felt the need to make comments about any show before and I have never really taken to the voice but this time I thought I would watch it all the way through……what a let down! Fantastic singer like Bob and he isn’t even picked and I thought XFactor was rigged! All the judges said great things about him but no-one wanted him. Thanks Voice you reminded me why all these programmes are NOT worth watching. I hope Bob makes it because he is fantastic!!!!

14. donna shepherd on January 18, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Cant believe nobody turned for Bob, too much time spent egging each other on to turn round, what more could they want from him. Wondered if it was rigged, as soon as he started singing, they all looked at tom and said push. Pointless saying what a great singer he his and that he should be a pro when nobody turned.

15. Mark buck on January 19, 2014 at 12:47 am

I have no idea why Bob was not chosen by the judges. His performance was wonderful. It is so hard to do a song like this without sounding cheesy and his version was musically and emotionally 1st class and real. I think they may have heard someone who’s star shone a little brighter than their own and weren’t prepared to let that happen.

16. Vicky on January 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Such a shame that someone like BoB with a fantastic voice did not get through ,would love to see more of him,wish you the best in the future bob,the judges do not know true talent.

17. hannah on January 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I am 13 and even i could see what an amazing singer he was. The judges really messed up this time. He was by far the best voice on the show, yet they didn’t turn for him??? Whaaatt?? I thought the x factor was fixed and this wasn’t but maybe I’m wrong… Also, this is a competition between the judges as well as the contestants – they shouldn’t turn only when someone else turns. And they shouldn’t wait until the very end until its too late, or they will miss out like with miles and bob.

18. Holley on January 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

I think the judges lost it saturday bob is a great singing for goodness sake listen to the singing lost of contestants will miss their opportunity to show what that have got to give

19. Sandra on January 21, 2014 at 9:15 am

I don’t watch programmes like The Voice, BGT etc for this very reason. The best never seem to win, and so why on earth would I watch/phone in to vote for someone I know “the experts” will fudge to lose. I came here to see the videos of what Chris Evans was talking about. Both great in different ways, and YES Bob is phenomenal. If the viewers had ANY say he would have gone through right then…but we all know it’s not OUR view that finds “winners”…really.

20. John Barton on January 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

I was totally amazed when the judges did not turn round but isn’t life funny. This has created a huge reaction around the country which probably would not have happened!
    So I wish Bob all the very best for the future – he thoroughly deserves it. A Subo moment and Bob for the European Song Contest – who said that!

21. Liz on January 21, 2014 at 11:55 am

Bob’s voice is just amazing – not only are his vocals fantastic, but his diction was absolutely clear.
    Ok, so he’s 55, but isn’t that the reason why The Voice distinguishes itself from the likes of X Factor? By judging only by voice and not by appearance?

His voice is clearly the best, and none of the judges gave any criticism after the performance, in fact, all they did was sing his praises, which makes me wonder why none of them turned around. They ALL should have turned!

It’s the first episode if The Voice I’ve ever watched, and it’ll be the last. I switched off after Bob’s performance.

22. Beardmouse on January 22, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I love this show, I really do. Is it rigged? I don’t know but having been (and still am) a professional singer for 20 years, I was genuinely stunned that no-one turned for Bob. I loved his lack of polish and his so called ‘ridiculous’ are movements. They were testament to his passion and lack of self awareness or ego. Great voice. I can only hope he receives enough offers to see him working as a singer full time from here on.
    X

23. JoJay on January 23, 2014 at 10:34 am

I dont watch the voice but after watching the breakfast show this morning and seeing Bob on the show, I checked out the net. His voice is amazing and when he was approached by Mike Batt this morning on the breakfast show live, he was blown away and cried. He appears to be so humble and genuine. I think the voice probably did him a favour. He is a long overdue star, but stardom is def.on the way. Good luck to you bob and your family. stay grounded, you are already gathering a huge fan base!!

24. rojo smith on January 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Don’t watch this show but just caught the news about Bob so checked out his performance and some of the others that got chosen , most of whom were mediocre. Bob’s rejection shows what a complete waste of time the show is, especially when you have people sitting in judgement over him that have far less vocal talent than he’s got, and fail to choose him. Truly pathetic.

25. PhilP on January 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Just what is required on these shows ! Bob, a breath of fresh air, they can guess age in the voice ! I guess !?
    the don’t sense the smell of money in Bob ! Chris Evans did on Radio 2 and Mike Batt on TV. 2 successful business people, Bob will do better than the eventual winner ! All the best Bob, get an album out NOW ! Upstage the Voice !!

26. twoblokes on February 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Bob Blakeley,dam that chap can sing,we should of heard of this chap many years ago cos if we had he,d be singing in vagas,made lots of albums and got the acclaim he so richly deserves.So when mike batt produces his first album i will be there with me dosh and be the proud owner of the 1st album of the singing genius known as BOB BLAKELEY.Oh,as for the voice,i like the show but,for christs sake get it right…..

27. Kath says on March 4, 2014 at 10:23 am

Bob Blakeley was fantastic on the Voice. Mike Batt is guaranteed to make him a star. He was definitely the best voice on the show and I think the reason the judges did not turn around is jealousy. They thought he was a better singer than they are and were protecting their egos!!! I had to watch him sing after listening to the Chris Evans Breakfast show and it confirmed to me why I think programmes like the Voice are a waste of time and are NOT worth watching when they turn away talent like Bob Blakeley’s. I for one will never watch it. Al the best Bob, you deserve to get on!!!

Comments are closed.