Simon Cowell tells James Arthur to ‘stay off Twitter’ & stop feeling sorry for himself!

by Lisa McGarry
james arthur

simon cowell x factor usa

Simon Cowell has offered some advice, which sounds very much like words of warning, to former X Factor winner James Arthur this week.

Simon Cowell reckons US talent TV is “a joke” – is he right or is it sour grapes?

The SYCO boss was no doubt dismayed when the Impossible singer got embroiled in yet another Twitter row and while James has insisted that he’s definitely not to blame this time, the music mogul wants him to remove himself from the equation altogether.

Arthur hit the headlines again after a glamour model claimed to have received a lewd proposition on Whatsapp. James fully denies the claims, is blaming his former PA and pleaded with the press to stop hounding him this week, though he later deleted the tweets.

Now Simon wants him to leave Twitter altogether and in a chat with Reveal magazine he told the star to ‘keep his mouth shut’ and accept that he’s ‘lucky’ to be in his privileged position.

james arthur

The dad to be insisted that the Recovery hitmaker, who recently won rave reviews for his UK shows and tour recently, needs to ‘stop feeling sorry for himself’ and have some pride in the fact that he’s sold 1 million records to date.

He added:

“If I responded to every negative thing said to me, I’d be on Twitter all day long. He’s just got to calm down, maybe he should take yoga classes.”

James’ X Factor winners’ single, “Impossible”, was released in Decemeber 2012 and peaked at number one on the UK Singles Chart in its first week of release. It has since gone on to sell over 1.2 million copies in the UK and 2.5 million copies overall.

james arthur

Arthur is hoping to bring the focus back to his music when he starts work on his second album and he tweeted fans today saying:

“first year in the game.. Music speaks louder than hate.”

He added:

“people come at me all the time wish they’d back off 😘”

Last month 2014 Arthur confirmed on Twitter that ‘Get Down’ will be the fourth single to be released from his debut album.

Have a listen and leave your comments below…

Lisa McGarry

Lisa has been watching reality TV for too long now. She won't do any housework unless 'Big Brother' announces it over the tannoy and everything she does has to be put to a public vote!

17 Comments

1. Angel on February 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Told off by the boss, ha ha, don’t mess with Cowell!

2. ags on February 13, 2014 at 12:37 am

he is homophobe … misogynist … cheap

3. Here we go... on February 13, 2014 at 1:30 am

To be fair Simon Cowell’s been doing this a lot longer. James has been in the public eye barely a year and a half and he has a diagnosed history of anxiety and depression, along with admittedly being a bit of a mouthy terror in his younger years.
    It’s a bad combination with the press that literally just try to wind him up, as well as the countless messages he receives on twitter everyday telling him to kill himself.
    Every time he so much as tries to defend himself or show people his side he gets vilified.
    Maybe a break from twitter would be helpful, but considering he tweeted tonight I don’t think he listened to Cowell’s advice and maybe if the press would stop scrutinizing his every breath he wouldn’t have to. When he’s not defending himself over things in the media, he’s incredibly positive and uses twitter to interact with his fans.

4. DonJuan on February 13, 2014 at 6:17 am

I find it funny that all of a sudden some people are saying that it’s the press winding him up that’s the problem. Go back and see what James Arthur has been saying to everybody and about everybody since the days after he won the show. He put himself in the public eye and then started his nasty tweeting. Of course he was going to be noticed for that…he had won the show and was in the press.
    Sadly he believes all the hype and thinks he can do no wrong. He is a loose cannon. He has admitted to bedding a young fan and then dumping her. Yet when that is reported in the press and people express their disgust, his bullying fans jump on everyone, including the young fan.
    If people want to be his fan then go for it. But don’t expect to change anyone’s mind about him by blaming everyone else for problems he has created. Maybe if, for once, he stood up and took real responsibility for his actions and apologized to everyone he has been saying c**p about for the last year, then maybe…just maybe people would leave him to it. Instead of doing the ‘poor me’ tweets, grow up. Everyone in the public eye gets nasty tweets. That’s a poor excuse. And it certainly doesn’t mean you reply or argue back with name calling.
    But as long as he keeps thinking he is entitled and acting like a nob, and keeps the twitter insults and comments going on, he will never be taken seriously. And the press will notice…it’s their job.

5. mike on February 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Have to say this guy had a huge amount of talent not like past winners just singing covers he makes most of these tracks by himself yes hes been a bit hot headed with some comments but so would 99% of us if we had to put up with the crap he does looking forward to your next album mate

6. DonJuan on February 14, 2014 at 7:26 am

Mike; he wouldn’t have to put up with crap if he didn’t dish it out first. He’s in the public eye so he’s going to get those comments. He needs to grow up & maybe act like he’s got a little responsibility for something. And he’s certainly not as talented as some of the past winners at all. That’s just your opinion. My opinion is that he’s the least talented but the most controversial from the lowest rated show yet. That’s his draw…..people are now waiting to see what nasty thing he’s going to say or do next as he’s been doing it since day dot.

7. rkane44 on February 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Completely agree with: here we go and Mike. Well said.

8. lynne on February 17, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Absolutely Mike and Here we go. My friends and I share your opinions also.

9. wedontgetdown on February 17, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I know this is not the discussion, however, JArmy we MUST ALL down load GET DOWN, (i tunes or Amazon, etc.) if we want it to chart/play on radio etc., despite already having it on the album also.

Just putting it out there!
    Team JA. 🙂

10. cdb_davis on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm

don’t much care for the song or his voice or his music how did he win x factor again?

11. Boo on February 22, 2014 at 11:13 pm

To answer your question cdb, he won xfac, by being voted by the majority of the public to do so. They clearly made the right choice as he subsequently went on to acheive the most successful winners single in the entire history of the show. Any more questions cdb, don’t hesitate to ask.

DonJuan, constantly repeating yourself on JA articles is becoming tedious and limited. You are not a fan… fine. Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion, however,ongoing searching of JA online, being antagonistic and name calling is hardly the most articulate case to present is it.

12. DonJuan on February 23, 2014 at 3:10 am

Boo; I read lots of entertainment articles and may even write some. And pretty much every article has a comments section that’s for comments right? I didn’t see it written anywhere that the comments section is reserved for James Arthur fans only. But I am flattered that you follow my comments so closely. I’m sure you’ve noticed that many others comment more than once as well. And some are not as nice as mine.
    And how is my comment antagonistic and what name calling did I do? I leave the name calling to James Arthur’s fans and James himself. Both seem to be experts at that.
    And just to add to your point: he won on the lowest viewed series in it’s history and by a very narrow margin from 2nd place. And anyone in the industry will tell you that his single sold well because it was for charity. It had nothing to do with James Arthur. Sorry.

13. Boo on February 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Don Juan: Just because you read a lot of articles, it does not deny the fact that you are repeatedly searching for JA online, it is curious, when you are not even a fan.

Secondly, of course I see your ongoing hostile comments on JA news, as I follow JA to support him, not to follow your comments. So perhaps not wise to be too flattered. Yes, I have noticed other hateful and rude comments, nevertheless I am commenting on yours right now.

To answer your question, your comments are antagonistic, where you are name calling such as “nob” and dictating he needs to “grow up” etc. Your tone and wording seem very aggressive. It is fine that you are not a fan, but you appear to be fueled with so much anger and hate, that it is concerning. It seems that it is you doing all the attacking.

Yes XFactor was reported as the lowest viewed series, yet, I maintain my point, with JA acheiving the fastest and biggest sold winners single ever. Secondly, I don’t need anyone in the industry to tell me it sold so well as it was for charity, other winners singles were also for charity (LittleMix, for example). Therefore, it clearly was to do with JA.

14. Boo on February 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm

My mistake… not little mix – Sam Bailey. Even so, that said, it is not wise to make unfounded assumtions. The fact is JA is the most successful winner ever, as I have said.

15. DonJuan on February 25, 2014 at 12:36 am

Boo: Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell me which articles I’m allowed to just read and which ones I’m allowed to read and then comment on.

As I have said before, I comment on lots of articles as I read them and may write some as well. And perhaps you should avail yourself of the meaning of hostile. Giving one’s opinion and commenting as I have is in no way hostile or attacking as many other comments and commenters are. And how is my comment that James Arthur should ‘grow up’ in any way antagonistic? I am stating a fact that even Simon Cowell has echoed in a recent past interview. I’d say that telling me I’m fueled by anger and hate is an attack in itself.

And as far as James Arthur being the most successful winner? Well we shall see. For now, the entire industry knows why his single sold as it did and it wasn’t because of the singer. Sorry.

Again I say I am flattered that you have such interest in me. As you are following me so intently, I am sure our paths will cross again. Perhaps we will meet on a Coldplay or Noel Gallagher comment thread soon.

16. Boo on February 25, 2014 at 6:02 pm

DonJuan: You are mistaken once again… I have not suggested that you do not read or comment on JA articles, I have made it clear that it is simply curious behaviour, given you are not a fan and it is concerning why you are commenting in such as hostile way.

The definition of hostile is characterised by combative, dislike and antagonistic behaviour. I maintain my point that you are name calling and dictating. (My examples are above). To attack someone as “the least talented” is also hostile, as talent is a matter of taste. Just because it is not yours, does not warrant such harsh words. Hence, this is also antagonistic, given he won so successfully in 2013.

As you have already pointed out, you are expressing your opinion, not a fact. Just because Cowell has an opinion also, does not mean that every one agrees with him either, on some comments.

As I have already stated, I am expressing that you seem fueled with anger and hate, as my observation is motivated by concern and disappiontment rather than attacking. So you are mistaken there too.

I won’t respond to your other comments as they are simply repetative and I have already maintained my point above.

17. Lynne on February 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm