Just another week at The X Factor. Gary Barlow making attacks on both Amelia Lily and Misha B, Tulisa hitting the desk so hard she almost needed medical attention, and a disastrous performance from Little Mix.
But we’re not here to talk about the onscreen politics, are we readers? No, we’re here to rate the performances this week. And in a break from tradition, we’re rating the acts per performance, which means if that scored low on one performance, they have a chance to chart higher with a better performance. We’re looking at you Marcus Collins.
In a very particular order, here’s our rating of tonight’s X Factor acts:
- Marcus Collins – My Girl: The performance of the night, for us, was Marcus doing a cover of My Girl. Since he’s already proved that he can handle vintage material like this, it was an effortless win for the ex-hairdresser.
- Amelia Lily – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough: Though she took some flack from Gary tonight, Amelia proved that she can sing outside her pop/rock comfort zone as she tore through this classic tune, showing us a polished popstar performance.
- Misha B – Dancing In The Street: The first of two high placements for Misha B tonight. This one fits in quite well with the type of music Misha was doing before X Factor, and it played to her strengths brilliantly. Great to see Misha doing a conventional tune justice and playing it straight.
- Amelia Lily – I’m With You: Amelia gave us a very strong – but not perfect – version of Avril Lavigne’s I’m With You. It could’ve done with a little bit more emotion, but it was still a solid performance from Miss Lily.
- Misha B – Perfect: Very much in the same vein as Amelia’s I’m With You, Misha tackled a slow song and came out on top. Showcased her voice to perfection.
- Little Mix – If I Were A Boy: An incredibly dull version of the Beyonce hit by Little Mix. It prompted Gary Barlow to complain that they needed to nominate a lead singer because the other girls’ vocals were
- Marcus Collins – Can You Feel It: Sadly, we didn’t feel it. This is the song we’ll point to when people tell us that Marcus might be able to sing a wider range of material than his “Golden Oldie” routines on X Factor seem to suggest. We don’t believe Marcus can do anything remotely modern or commercial, meaning that if he wins X Factor it’ll kind of be a disaster.
- Little Mix – You Keep Me Hanging On: The worst performance by far this evening, featuring tunelessness and even forgotten lyrics! This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, because Little Mix have been terribly inconsistent throughout this competition, but if you’re the sort who believes everything the judges say, you probably think they’ve never sung a wrong note before this evening.
Overall, a bit of a return to form for Misha B, and a case of Amelia Lily solidifying her position. Little Mix didn’t surprise us with that performance tonight. They’ve been heavily overrated all along. And it’s not that we dislike them, conspiracy theorists, because we can see the potential in Little Mix as much as you can. It’s just that they’re not ready for primetime and not ready to win this competition.
Based on tonight’s show, it’s now between Amelia Lily and Misha B. But it’s over to you now – give us your rankings in the comments!