Simon Cowell is said to be more worried than ever about The X Factor, after Christopher Maloney won a place in the final last night.
The show is suffering from falling ratings and loss of credibility and the music mogul is apparently concerned that a win by Christopher this Sunday could hammer the final nail in the coffin of the ITV show.
The Mirror reports that the TV boss thinks the 34 year old hopeful is making the series appear ‘dated’ and is prompting younger viewers and fans to tune out, as their more relevant acts have been eliminated each week.
Bosses won’t be happy to hear that Saturday night’s show fell in viewer numbers once again and finished with 2.6 less people watching than watched Little Mix, Marcus Collins and Amelia Lily in the 2011 semi final.
The ITV1 singing contest attracted an average audience of 8 million during the penultimate performance show, compared to 10.6 million viewers who watched the final elimination a year ago.
It wasn’t just down on last year but once again the show lagged behind Strictly Come Dancing which brought in an average audience of 9.9 million viewers on the same night.
It seems that many viewers are just as unhappy as Cowell with Maloney’s continued survival on the series. The Scouser has been receiving even more death threats and retweeted a message this morning which read:
“I’m Going To Murder You Why Are You Voting For Yourself” ”
“death threats yet again! disgusting! police informed!”
Chris left Twitter for a number of days last month and admitted that he was unable to cope with the abuse and hate he was getting online. X Factor insiders told us that police were informed then too about threatening messages he had been receiving.
What do you think X Factor fans? Is Christopher’s presence ruining the show or does he deserve to win simply because of the abuse he has received? We want to hear your thoughts in the comments section below…
Also, check out all the details, spoilers and news on this year’s final here.