X Factor 2014: Dermot O’Leary to QUIT X Factor in favour of Daybreak?

by Nick Barnes
dermot o'leary

dermot o'leary

It’s safe to say that ITV’s breakfast news programming has never been the same since GMTV was taken off the air and replaced with Daybreak.

In the few years that the breakfast show has been on air, it has undergone numerous presenter changes and redesigns, but now, bosses are looking to poach The X Factor’s Dermot O’ Leary to join the ranks.

At present, bosses are looking to replace Aled Jones as he’s not exactly making the mark anymore… not that he ever did. It is said the execs want a fresh, new face to front the show in a morning – someone that is popular and will bring in the viewers. Dermot O’Leary fits the job description perfectly, but he doesn’t have any breakfast experience, unfortunately.

Dermot, 40, isn’t the only presenter ITV is currently eyeing up as it is thought that BBC Breakfast sports host, Chris Hollins, 42 is also in line for a potential role on the news programme.

dermot o'leary

However, what would this mean for The X Factor? IF Derm is working every weekday morning, will he have enough time to fit in rehearsals throughout the week and even present the live shows every Saturday and Sunday? How would it work when it comes to the auditions and judges houses? We don’t think it would work and there’s a chance that Dermot would quit The X Factor if he took up a role on Daybreak.

An insider told The Mirror: “The mission to hire new blood continues apace. Daybreak is a big problem.

“Chris would be ideal as he has bags of experience. Dermot may have no breakfast experience but he’s a favourite with ITV chiefs”.

Rumour has it, Loraine Kelly is also set to leave Daybreak after the ratings have fallen dramatically over the years.

Despite all the rumours, ITV has confirmed that Aled and Lorraine “are fantastic” and they will return to the show in January.

Do you think Dermot is the right person to front Daybreak? Do you think he’d leave The X Factor after so many years on the job?

Nick Barnes

Nick is the Assistant Editor at Unreality TV, along with being a full-time Beyoncé obsessor! Email him at nick@unrealitytv.co.uk or catch him on Twitter @ImNickBarnes

7 Comments

1. Gavin Martin on December 31, 2013 at 10:02 pm

well its almost 30 years since lorraine kelly join itv breakfast when it was tv-am and i’m sure lorraine is not leaving daybreak

2. Alex on January 1, 2014 at 2:44 am

Lorraine and Kate(is it Greenaway)are the most irritating women on TV. I suppose quite suitable for the type of programme Daybreak is.They both have the most inane stupid grin and giggle.I think Aled Jones as we are led to believe was targeted by Lorraine Kelly for the job ??? I believe he was then hung out to dry by LK and D/Break.Management are blaming AJ for bad viewing figures.Don’t put all blame on him I don’t think she’s the big draw ( I find it quite hard at times to understand what on earth she’s saying)well she may be the best of a mediocre presenting crowd, is it all management have?. God help us.Thank god I’m not paying license fee for.
    What on earth was wrong with John Stapleton today. He is forceful and a bit aggressive I tend to think he’s more of a gentle hack, but I do feel compelled most of the time to listen to him. Find him a gritty job not a magazine slot, he deserves more.
    TV AM died ad eath rebranded to Daybreak. Get the message management your format is fluffy at best, and your so called “stars” are tired and tentions are sometimes very obvious.Time to call it a day, but don’t blame AJ.Management have a lot to answer to dump the 2 named women, there by default

3. XFF on January 1, 2014 at 3:36 am

Noooo! Dermot can’t leave X Factor! He’d be wasted on Daybreak which, let’s face it, is a sinking ship whoever they put in the driving seat. Give it to Chris Hollins.

4. Lauren on January 1, 2014 at 8:54 am

Not sure about the morning slot, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Dermot thinks about new pastures. To me he seemed to be struggling at times to inject life and enthusiasm into the last X-Factor. At times there was a whiff of desperation as he battled with -let’s face it – the weakest and least relevant line-up so far. (With possibly a couple of exceptions who got booted out)
    Bringing back Mrs O seemed like a last-ditch attempt to ressurect former glories. If Dermot could find the right vehicle I think he would be well advised to abandon the sinking ship but I doubt Daybreak is the answer. I think Ben Shepherd went down that path and is now consigned to mediocre afternoon game shows. The public get bored incredibly quickly. It could be a similar life-stage thing as both men have – or had- young families whom I guess they might have hoped to be around more. I sometimes think Dermot could do with some down-rime as he seems to be permanently in overdrive – but perhaps that was for the aforesaid reasons.

5. Colin Dowsett on January 1, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I find the Show much more bearable to watch when L.K. is not on! A.J. was always on a loser as he doesn’t have the charisma to front Daybreak with the ever so irritating L.K. How about poaching susanna reid from the beeb for starters? John Stapleton Matt Barbet Ranvir Singh all do a stirling Job. I would scrap the Lorraine show, it has run its course and would make more sense to run Daybreak until 9.30.

6. Neil on January 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I find it hard to believe Lorraine would leave ITV Breakfast altogether as Gavin says she has presented for so long and her own show get higher ratings than Daybreak itself. She will probably go back to her own show and Aled Jones will get axed by the summer.

For me it’s not who presents the programme that is the problem it’s the content. It’s far too lightweight and showbiz with those awful competitions and ad breaks. I don’t mind Lorraine and Aled, but there not the best.

I tend to just watch the news hour with Matt and Ranvir. They are great presenters along with John Stapleton and Helen Fospero. Maybe, instead of looking for new talent look at the existing presenting team then focus on more news. Then viewing figures might improve.

7. JOHN HILL on January 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

DAYBREAK IS ABSOLUTELY AIMED AT TEENAGERS AND IS AN AWFUL AWFUL PROGRAMME FILLED WITH ADS AND STUPID SPONSORSHIPS WHICH IN THE CASE THE WEATHER IS LONGER THAN THE FORECAST.LORAINE KELLY IS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND AND IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS SHOW AND HER SHOW IS FOR FEMALES AND SO BORING. JUST FORGET BREAKFAST TV AND LEAVE IT TO SKY AND BBC.

Comments are closed.