X Factor final results: Simon Cowell backs James Arthur as winner’s single ‘Impossible’ tops iTunes chart!
James Arthur is already on course to claim this week’s number one single it has been revealed.
The 23 year old won The X Factor last night and his debut single ‘Impossible’ was released for download immediately.
By just after midnight last night the song was already at the top of the iTunes download chart and insiders say he should breeze through his chart battle this week, to claim his first number one on Sunday night.
‘Impossible’ isn’t just a winner’s single of course, but it’s a charity record with all proceeds raised (including the VAT) being donated to children’s charity ‘Together For Short Lives.’
As a result it has taken over the previous iTunes topper, the single released by Will.i.am, featuring Britney Spears.
However, as popular as James’ track looks set to be, bookies don’t think he can stay at the top for two weeks and aren’t offering great odds on him claiming the Christmas number one.
He’s the second favourite at 3/1, however bookmakers think the Hillsborough Charity Single will pip him to the post and are offering odds of 1/3 on it reaching number one.
Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said: “James’s performances this weekend haven’t left us feeling good as he’s cost us a fortune. Although the odds suggest he’ll miss out on the Xmas No.1 we’re sure he’ll get his hands on the top spot next year.”
After Arthur’s win, Simon Cowell reached out to him on Twitter last night and congratulated his latest signing.
The music mogul will be working with the 23 year old going forward, as he will release at least one album with his record label SYCO and last night the TV boss tweeted:
“Congratulations James on winning X factor uk. You deserved this.”
We can only imagine the party in his LA mansion when Christopher Maloney was eliminated the week before.
He may have got a credible winner in the end but it wasn’t all good news for SiCo and last night’s final attracted the lowest ratings since Leona Lewis won back in 2006.
As a peak of 12 million people tuned in, the figure was 2 million down on last year which had itself been the least watched final since 2007.
As a result Simon is reportedly considering making a return himself in 2013 and an insider told The Daily Star:
“Simon has to come back onto the panel. There is no other way forward as the viewing figures are disastrous.
“He needs to really think about who he wants in those judging seats.”
Do you think it will make a difference? Leave your comments below…